Sunday, May 17, 2009

Projects

Don't let those DIY home improvement shows fool you. Remodeling is hard work - not to mention expensive! We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into years ago when we decided to rip out the perfectly ordinary yard and remake it according to our vision. The obstacles we have met along the way were frustrating at the very least and we also encountered days when Bill and I definitely were not friends because our opinions just didn't match. Believe me, common ground is hard to find when you put two stubborn people on one project, each with their own ideas about the particular order of things.

These days the finish line is tantalizingly close... we actually have grass in our front yard, the deck and both pergolas are amazing, and the mason continues to work on the imported Italian outdoor pizza oven at a snail's pace but still progress can be measured.



I sometimes wonder if I would have had the courage to go through with this ginormous project if I had been able to see the stress that would come with it, but I can honestly say that I am glad we have put in the hard work to carve out a patch of our own. It has taken a lot longer than we planned (Project completion time was never my strong suit.. I once thought it would be a breeze to paint the shed in one day.. LOL we did it but it was an agonizingly brutal day!) and it has cost more money than we anticipated, but it was so worth it!



I am working on digging up some pictures to show a "before and after" of our yard project.. hopefully I will post them soon! For now, it is time to head out to the sitting garden because today is planting day! *side note: we have all been sick this week but no cough or sniffle can keep us from our gardens!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.