Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Appreciation

I work in the administration offices of a busy K-9th grade school and I get to see a lot of things on a daily basis that are sad, heartbreaking, amazing, gross, funny - you name it. Some of the kids that we work with are inspiring in the way they deal with physical handicaps, medical afflictions, bullies, and even poverty. And some kids make me shake my head as they get sent to the office, day after day, for ridiculous behavior.

I’ll be the first to say that my husband and I have a lot of kids… our very own six pack! How lucky I feel when I stop to appreciate the fact that none of my kids have to check their blood sugar or administer insulin daily, none of them have had to be sent home from school for behavior problems, and none of them have a heartbreaking home life. In fact, these girls have always been at the top of their class, are the first to offer help to anyone in need, and they always… ALWAYS stick up for the underdog.

My office is front row to a lot of drama. The daily parade can be any combination of sick kids, clothing emergencies, medicine dispensing, first aid, poor choices, and sometimes just rotten luck. What I don’t often get to see in my office are the kids that shine, the ones who are straight A students that are busy setting good examples and preparing to make the world a better place. But I know those kids are here.. just as my kids are at their schools… quietly noticed, but mostly undisturbed by the office staff because they’re the good kids.

To my girls, and all the great students out there, I want to say -Keep it up, Good Kids, we know you’re out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.