Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goodbye 2009 - Thanks for the Memories!

As 2009 comes to a close, I find myself reflecting on the year of highs and lows that my family has experienced over the last 12 months. If I had a dollar for every time we said that this year is a very different kind of year for us, I certainly wouldn't have to worry about any post Christmas debt! But as I hear the giggles of all the little girls throughout the house and watch my cute husband making his special nachos for our family New Year's Eve celebration, I am completely satisfied and happy with my life.

Here is a short recap of our experiences in 2009:

1. We created a family blog to share with friends and family.

2. Bill and I took a quick, overnight trip to Maui to recharge our parental batteries.

3. Carley and Madi were named officers in Key Club and FBLA at LHS and the price of their sweaters was OMG!

4. We had to rebuild and finish the deck and mason work of the pizza oven after a fire the previous fall.

5. We took the girls to Little Sahara Sand Dunes for an Easter camping trip and we were pretty much soaking wet and cold the entire time!

6. Sent the girls to Ohio for their half sister's High School graduation.

7. Two of our girls got their driver's licenses.

8. Our first major scare when Madi was in a car accident.

9. We learned that our beloved Grandma Robinson was seriously ill.

10. The truck's fuel pump conked out on us on a camping trip to Flaming Gorge.

11. My buddy, Jake, came to my house and planted an Apple tree in our backyard..on my birthday.

12. Madi and Emily got jobs at Lagoon.

13. Boating, boating, and more boating!

14. We said goodbye, for the last time, to Grandma Robinson. Her passing forever changed the way we view our lives.

15. Abby and Linzie started 7th grade, Emily started High School, and Carley and Madi began their Junior year at LHS.

16. I mustered up all of my courage to quit my job at Venture to accept a great job opportunity at OHSU.

17. My "babies" officially became teenagers. Now ALL of our girls are teenagers!

18. We gave away a washer, couch, two geckos and a television when we made necessary upgrades around the house.

19. We made A LOT of fudge.

20. I held and comforted my daughters as they cried and mourned the death of their friend involved in a violent car accident. Less than 48 hours later another friend of theirs tragically lost her older brother to suicide.

21. The discovery of Glee meant much more singing around the house and walking around with silly grins as we compare our crushes on Mr. Schuester.

So as our New Year's celebrations wind down and as each of us slowly wander off to our comfy beds, I cannot help but appreciate all that 2009 taught me. Even though there was a tremendous amount of sadness, I learned to appreciate the moments... each and every one of them whether good or bad.

In one of our favorite songs Jason Mraz sings, "It takes some good to make it hurt... It takes some bad for satisfaction." I agree, Mr. Mraz. Life. Is. Wonderful!

Happy New Year, everyone. I am looking forward to appreciating all that 2010 has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.