Saturday, October 23, 2010

Boston - Day 3

My goodness, what a day!  After some wonderful time spent in conversation at Aunt Dottie's house, we decided it was time to begin our road trip adventure for the day. We traveled to Duxbury to see John Alden's house. (We are direct descendants so this was high on our bucket list!) Mom, Dottie and I were so excited when we arrived but the parking area seemed deserted. Undeterred, we wandered around the grounds and took some great photos of the exterior.

After a few minutes, a woman carrying a cake approached the house and told us it was "closed for the season" but there was a Haunted House scheduled there later in the evening if we wanted to return. But we had The Power Of Linda on our side and she quickly explained that we are descendants and asked if there was any way we could just "take a peek" inside. She even gave the woman Dottie's first and middle name as if it would be our magic passport (Dorothy Alden) and it worked! The woman said she thought it would be okay if we didn't mind going through without a tour guide. We assured her we would love any opportunity to walk through this historical house.

She wasn't kidding about the Haunted House festivities. It looked to me like Halloween vomited on everything inside! I had to try to look past the ghoulish decorations to see the beauty of the house beneath. I looked overhead (Which wasn't hard to do because the ceilings were very low!) and saw the rough cut beams holding up the house, while any wooden beams within reach had been worn smooth by centuries of hands running across them.  The floors creaked satisfyingly as we slowly walked from room to room,n trying to take in every detail. There was a sign in the entryway that said "NO Pictures" ... so naturally I went into stealth mode to take pictures without being seen or heard.  (I think my ancestor, John Alden would have approved.. and we spent a lot of money on our way out so I feel ok about taking some pictures to share with my daughters.) Mom and Dottie were my partners in crime and I grinned each time they purposely distracted our guide so she would not hear the click of my camera. But when our guide smiled so sweetly at me, I knew she didn't mind the few pictures I captured for my girls and I was just so grateful to be there!
I could not believe I was standing in John Alden's house. I was in awe as I looked at the functional, yet beautiful fireplace and reminded myself that in that kitchen my ancestors carried out their daily activities. It was such an honor to be there! 
Alicia was the woman who graciously let us into this historical home, walked us through the rooms, and rang up our purchases. It was because of her kindness that we were able to experience something that we had only read about before. We picked up information on how to register as Alden descendents when we get home. I love having this link to history!
(Please check out the Alden House website with truly amazing photos minus the Halloween Decor.)

Still buzzing with excitement over our visit to Alden House, we then headed off to Plymouth where we planned to meet cousin John for dinner later that evening. The scenery was so colorful and amazing but very difficult to photograph from a moving car. So you will just have to trust me when I tell you that I saw a cranberry bog and more gorgeous colonial houses than I could count! We even saw an old Model T.
I've been to many ocean-side towns, but there's something distinctly different about a New England ocean-side town. Quaint is the best word to describe it. There are a lot of tourists, but it doesn't feel like a tourist trap.. (well, maybe the "Plymouth Rock" did... I just don't believe that tiny thing is the actual rock the pilgrims landed on...could we shoot for something more like a rocky shore maybe?) Mom, Dottie and I once again got out to wander around and take some pictures to show the girlies back home.



 We enjoyed looking at The Mayflower II and browsing the gift shop, but we were starting to feel a bit tired because it had been such a long day.  We eventually met up with Dottie's son, John and his girlfriend for dinner at a lovely restaurant that had amazing views of the harbor. We enjoyed each other's company and conversation as the moon came up over the harbor. It was all so perfect.

I love these people! I've said it before and I'll say it again... John is just like my big brother, Roger. I feel so at home around him and his kindness is beyond measure. I was walking along the street and he came up next to me and said he would feel better if he walked along the outside of our group so that if anyone got hit, it would be him and not us. (Although I am glad no one was hit, of course) John opened doors and pulled out Mom's chair for her as well. I am always so impressed by his uncommon kindness.

Mom and Dottie chatted all the way back to Dottie's place while I talked with my girls through text messages. I'm really missing my tribe tonight. It's been a very long time since I've gone so long without their hugs and tender air kisses.

Time to get some sleep... Vermont tomorrow! (Somewhere in California is my cute guy.. he's visiting his Mom for the weekend. If you see him, poke him in the eye and tell him to call his wife who misses him terribly!)

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That is a very creepy looking place with all that decor. It kinda reminds me of that movie "The Village", especially with the no pictures signs.

    ReplyDelete

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.