Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A letter sent with love to Aunt Dottie

I decided to do something very different here today. I'm about to post a letter to someone very special (who I know reads this blog from time to time) and because she's so very special, I am going to share my letter with anyone who reads this little corner of the bloggerverse.  




Dear, Sweet Aunt Dottie,

I'm skipping the thousands of miles by sending my love and hugs across the internet for you tonight because I miss you terribly.  You cross my mind at least a dozen times each day, and every thought brings a smile with it. You are so very special to me! The girls sent me a text message the other day telling me I had a letter from you and I was so excited to come home and open it. Your beautiful card made my day, and I have read it at least a dozen times since then. 

I wish there wasn't so much distance between us. I ache over my inability to bring the girls to visit you. I know they would love spending time with you as much as I do! (Although I am sure the mob of us would wear you out!) Even though they can't tell you in person, I want you to know how much you are loved by all of us. I do my best to tell them all about my visits with you so they can somehow feel a little bit closer, but it just isn't the same, is it?

We had a gusty wind yesterday that blew a lot of the leaves off of the trees. I was in my car and the leaves were falling like rain on the windshield. It made me think of the leaves back there and how you'd laugh every time Mom would pick one up and tuck it away as an autumn keepsake. The leaves here aren't nearly as plentiful and I wish the fall colors would stay a little longer. I'm sure it won't be long before the snow piles up around us and then you will see our winter pictures posted here. I don't mind the snow so much, but I don't know what I was thinking buying a house without a fireplace! That will be on the very top of my priority list if we ever move. 

The girls love the bottles you gave us which are now sitting on a new shelf that Bill made for me. Remember how I told you he can make anything? The shelf is in the upstairs hallway and it only has antiques on it, and I also hang the quilt from it that I bought at Faneuil Hall the first time Carley and I came out to visit with Mom and Grandma. The silver dragonfly sits on a special shelf near the front door, constantly reminding me of the most important thing in life - family.  I love being able to look all around me and feel you nearby.

Every day I am so thankful I had the opportunity to come see you and I appreciate you sharing your stories, pictures, and most of all sharing your wonderful laughter with us. If I close my eyes and concentrate, I can almost hear you laughing now and the thought of it makes me happy.  You are such a wonderful lady and I miss you so much! Mom keeps me updated on how you are doing and I love it that you check in with us here too. I told Mom just the other day how much I miss Everett, Clapboard Tree and Milk streets. I should have taken pictures of those signs! Next time I'm there, I will be sure to remember.

Take care, Special Lady. We love you with all our hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.