Monday, March 14, 2011

Gratitude For My Girls

This morning I woke with an overpowering feeling of gratitude for my sweet girls. I was thinking about them as I drifted off to sleep last night and they stayed in my thoughts all night long. Sweet! They are truly my besties and I am so lucky to be their mom!

Yesterday we did our heathan thing and went grocery shopping. I could not help but smile as Carley, Linzie, Abby, and me of course, all rolled the windows down in our shiny jeep (sunroof too) and let the sunshine and spring air fill our souls. We turned the stereo up and sang along... we were diggin' it!

Now that's my kind of Sunday worship!

My girls were such great helpers at the store! Each of them would peek over my shoulder and then head off in different directions to get items on our list. It was a game of grocery scavenger hunt and my girls played it well! I love it that they are old enough to be helpers with this mundane task that often leaves me bored halfway through the store. We laughed and joked with each other and one of our favorite checkers, Donnie, as we piled our purchases on the belt and noted how expensive kids can be. 

Sidenote: Donnie has been our checker for so many years now that he knows what to expect from us. One day last week we needed just a few things from the store so Bill and I went on a fast errand. Upon seeing our meager purchases, Donnie laughed and asked us if everything was okay. He teased us about it not being our typical shopping trip.  Next time he saw us with our cart load, he said, "Now that's more like you!" haha! He's a really nice guy that is always so friendly.. no wonder we choose his lane more often than anyone else's.

After the grocery store, my kiddos helped unload and put groceries away. They rocked it! I didn't even have to ask for their help, they just jumped right in. I love it that I can count on them in any situation, but especially in the grocery department because that's a big job for one person!

We took a few hours in the afternoon to watch a great old movie, The Earthling. It was one of my favorite movies as a child and I enjoyed sharing it with my girls. I have tried to buy it for years because I think it has a great story and incredible acting by the two main characters. It was a nice way to spend the afternoon with my girls.

Although it wasn't a weekend filled with adventures and photos of crazy things we have been up to, it was a perfect weekend spending time with my family. We truly enjoy each others' company and I had to be sure to take the time to let my girls know how much I love and appreciate each one of them. They are my besties and I am so very grateful to have them in my life!

And to the nameless, faceless stranger that left their grocery list in the shopping cart yesterday: I giggled to myself when I saw that "Asspergrass" was the first item on your list. Touche! I love asparagus and more than once, my goofy Hubby has pronounced it in the comical way you had written it on your grocery list. Nice to know we're not the only weirdos in the world.
I stole this picture from Carley's facebook page. Abby took this photo of the two of them just before we went to my mom's house on Saturday. Such cute girls!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Your girls are exactly what I hope my boys become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minus the make-up and mood swings, of course. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.