Saturday, May 28, 2011

Life-Changing Week

It's a big week for my family. The week stretched out in front of us ushers in a new chapter in our lives and I'll be the first to admit it's a little scary because I have become quite comfortable in my mothering role as it has been for the past 19 years.

That's all about to change.

My little ones are all grown up. It seems to have happened quite suddenly. My mommy brain tells me that only last week I was holding Carley's and Madi's little hands as they waited for the school bus to pick them up for their first day of kindergarten. That memory is so bright and vivid... where did the years go?

This week, my very first little girls are graduating from high school. I know! I can hardly believe it myself! They will walk with their peers, draped in their school colors and wearing the honor cords that represent their years of hard work and sacrifice. They will fret over balancing their caps and they will secretly practice the tassel switch until they have it mastered for their ceremony on Thursday. (Not to worry, girls! It's a tiny thing to move the tassel from one side of your cap to the other.)

Throughout the whole thing, they won't be able to see the tears streaming down their mother's face... they won't feel the ache in my heart as is swells with pride (and a tiny hint of sorrow) as I watch them take this next step in their lives. My little girls won't know that I will sit there replaying every moment of their lives from their first little cries to their most recent gut-laughter over something utterly silly and wonderful. I will squeeze the hand of my Hubby.. the one who has patiently fathered them all these years and helped shape them into the beautiful women they are today. Even though he might think my tears are silly sentiment, he will lovingly support me and undoubtedly tease me about it later. (It's what he does and we love him for it.)

I can't help it, I'm a tender-heart and my babies are going to walk across a stage and forever cross into adulthood this week. There will be many, many tears. I'm so proud of them!  I'm pretty sure I will be imagining their tiny selves drowning in graduation gowns that are much too big for them. And when they look at me and smile, I will wonder how those little, five year old girls could possibly be graduating. I better stock up on tissues!

Congratulations on your graduation, my precious girls! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.