Saturday, April 7, 2012

Old Fashioned Road Trip!

Hubby and I decided to try something different for spring break this year. Normally we load up the camping gear, four wheelers, all of our giggling girls and we head somewhere south of us for some chilly (but fun) camping.  However, life is changing around here.. the girlies are growing up and molding lives of their own. Three of my girls have jobs, two are also in college, one of those three had her annual California trip with her choir group scheduled, and our little Georgia peach decided she wanted to go to Florida with her friends this year instead of trekking to Utah for some rugged fun. That left our two youngest or "littles" as we affectionately call them, Hubby and myself. We simply could not imagine a lonely campfire with only four people surrounding it. We decided that we needed to do something completely different to avoid gloomy spirits wondering how much more fun it could be if the other four girls were along for the trip, and just like that a wild idea was hatched.. A six day, 2400 mile California road trip! (Yes, we were crazy. No, we had no idea what we were getting into!)

As the trip loomed nearer, the littles were getting more excited by the day. After they realized we were going nowhere near Disneyland, their imaginations began to shape ideas of what exciting adventures might be awaiting them. California! Isn't it warm there? We will have so much fun! Think of all the things we will do and see! I was still a little nervous myself. I can't easily forget that my sweet Linzie has been prone to car sickness since she was an infant, and I wondered if they would find a road trip exciting at all. My girls have been camping since they were toddlers, but most of our big vacations involve flying somewhere tropical, with lots of snorkeling and beach time thrown in for kicks. To soothe my worry habit, I frequently recalled memories of a road trip my family took to Alaska when I was in junior high. If my parents could load up a truck and camper and three little kids to road trip for an entire month, then surely I could handle six days to California and back. Right?

It was an adventure all right! As usual, it will take me some time to organize photos and put thoughts into words, but rest assured it's coming. I can't wait to tell you all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.