Sunday, March 21, 2010

Dear Spring

Yesterday I could hear birds chirping enthusiastically outside my window and when I went over to look, I saw beautiful blue sky and dazzling sunshine! Immediately, I had visions of the bright sunshine warming my toes as I sit on my favorite step on my beloved deck.  Too excited to contain myself, I opened the back door as if in a trance. I was headed outside for some much needed sun therapy! And then it hit me. Icy air blasted my face and my bare toes attempted to shrink into themselves as they hit the unexpected frost covered trex steps of the deck.

DAMN!

Damn trickery! I cursed a few more times for emphasis as I raced back through the door and shut it behind me. I stood there sulking as I looked out the window and wished for warmer weather.  I wished Spring would stop playing games with me and bring me the warmth that I crave!

Then I remembered the conversation Hubby and I had the other day.. the same one we seem to have every year.

Me: "It always snows in April."

Hubby: "Yes, I know. I lost a bet over that one year."

Me Grinning: "You bet against me and I won?"

Hubby: "Yep. I won't make that mistake again. It ALWAYS snows in April."

Me: "Daweena."  (Ute Indian word for last snowstorm of the season.)

Obviously I know that craving warm, sunshiny Saturday mornings in March is futile. I do, in fact, understand the temperamental season that Spring really is. And clearly I know there is more snow in our future. 

But that doesn't stop the wanting.

The other day I came home from work in a fantastic mood. I had the windows of the Durango down every second I was not on the freeway. The warm air was intoxicating! I walked in the door and everyone was happy - the kind of happy that you can only get on a perfectly warm Spring day. We gathered on our favorite conversation steps of the back deck and talked about our day and daydreamed about planting gardens in the very near future.

*Sigh* 

I can only conclude that Spring is glorious torture. Every day I am taunted by the promise of things to come and I am eagerly awaiting the warm summer mornings spent gardening and the anticipation of bbqs shared with favorite people on perfect summer evenings. I wish we didn't have to wait!

1 comment:

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.