Monday, April 26, 2010

The MOST Wonderful Time of the Year!

Did you read the title of this post and immediately hear your favorite Christmas crooner serenading you in your head? Awesome!  However, today I am not writing about Christmas. Sure, Christmas is sparkly, colorful and oh so expensive cheerful, but what I am thinking about today is even better than that...and dirtier too!

Picture if you will a beautiful blue sky, robins happily perched on fence posts, cherry and apple blossoms bursting all around, as lawn mowers hum in the distance - filling the air with the intoxicating scent of freshly cut grass.  Now turn your attention to the mounds of  tilled black dirt of the garden, just begging to be planted. My fingers twitch at the mere thought of getting dirty pulling weeds and planting in the rich, dark soil.

Ahh bliss!

This is the picture of my perfect spring Saturday spent with my husband and daughters, working in our vegetable garden, giddy with excitement as we pulled weeds and prepped for planting. In less than 10 minutes, my husband and I discussed fencing in the garden to prevent our dogs from eating the tender sprouts... an hour later and the building was well under way. There is nothing my guy can't do!  He even let me design the entryway and gate. 

Have I mentioned before how much I love him?

My girls are incredible helpers who pulled weeds, helped with the new fence and stained the old and new fence for hours. While my cute hubby measured,  cut and assembled the beautiful new fencing. I am such a lucky girl to be surrounded by wonderful, loving family members!

To celebrate our weekend and our new vegetable corral, we grilled two nights in a row and enjoyed the company of my brother's family on Friday night. We have completely given in to the fever of spring and our desire to be outside, soaking up the sunshine. Our scalps and cheeks are tender from the new sunburns we are sporting, but it is a tiny price to pay for the immense satisfaction we feel over a job well done!

As we look forward to many evenings and weekends spent working in the gardens, enjoying the fruits of our labors, and spending plenty of quality time together, we can easily say that this is truly the most wonderful time of the year!

1 comment:

  1. If only we could have happy weather yet another weekend. : /

    ReplyDelete

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.