Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I'd Like To Be A Duck

This morning I had the privilege of  driving one of my oldest daughters to her summer nanny gig at my parents' house. No, she isn't my parents' nanny, she watches my adorable nephew, Pirate Jack.

When I left the house wearing flip flops, my Moab t-shirt from the previous day and the bottom half of my Christmas PJ's, I had no idea I was about to encounter one of those mornings seemingly conjured straight out of a Homes and Gardens magazine.  If someone would have warned me, I would have planned ahead and worn some pedal-pushers, white Keds, Jacqueline Kennedy Onasis sunglasses and a hat with a ginormous floppy brim. At least then I would have matched the Home and Garden theme, rather than the tired mom who stumbled out of bed and got partially dressed before deciding that the rest of the clothing ensemble could be worked out later. In my defense I ask you, what good is working from home in the summer if you can't leave the house at least once in your PJ's?

The intoxicating air was sweet and warm, the farmer's fields were golden with their organic bounty, and a family of white ducks played in the sprinklers on someone's front lawn while a little old lady fussed over her flower garden. We were even treated to a glimpse of the purest right of passage in human existence - about a million tiny people with over-sized smiles to match their over-sized backpacks as they stood on the lawn of the elementary school while their parents snapped photo after photo of the first day of kindergarten.

Driving that picturesque route, I found myself  simultaneously wanting to be a duck, a little old lady working in her flower garden, a 5 year old sporting pigtails on the first day of school, and the proud owner of a Sweet Corn produce stand on the side of the road.

Magical!

To complicate matters, I had to drive past my favorite store on the planet... twice!  J&J's Nursery is the best place for garden lovers everywhere and I gravitate to it like a junkie looking for a fix. The only thing saving me from dropping in this morning and trading my children for organic fertilizer was the fact that I was wearing pajama bottoms. Darn the luck!

Now as I sit here, in front of the decidedly non-organic computer screen, I fantasize about ignoring the umpteen billion work emails mocking me with their bold text and Times New Roman font, trading my pajamas for my summer capri jeans and then running away to J&J's for a check-writing frenzy that would leave me giddy with gardening pleasure.

*Sigh*  

Hubby has no idea the amount of restraint I am managing right now. Although I haven't quite made it to focusing on my work this morning, I am controlling the intense urge to frolic in the summer sunshine.... for now. Hubby should be thanking me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.