Monday, October 25, 2010

Boston - Day 5

It is misleading to title these entries "Boston" anything.. we haven't even been to Boston! But for continuity's sake, I will continue with the title thread.

Today we woke up to Vermont hills shrouded in mist. We walked outside and I could feel the water on my face but it wasn't rain. The mist muffled sounds and made everything mysterious and beautiful! I couldn't help but think of Grandma while we were at breakfast this morning... last time I was in a similar setting with her, she was tucking jam packets into her purse for later.  Oh how I miss her! I am so lucky to have Aunt Dottie. She is so wonderful and reminds me of Grandma as well.

Our first stop this morning was to Walker farms where I went a little nuts with the photography. Seriously, the fresh produce, colorful fall mums and misty morning made for a perfect setting and I snapped picture after picture! As amazing as it looked, this little place has wonderful fruit and cheese (which Mom is generously sharing as I write this) and baked goods too. We had fun picking out a few things for each of us to take with us and I managed to be sneaky and pick up the tab for once. (You wouldn't believe how stubborn these two are when it comes to who pays for what!) This little produce stand is significant because Grandma loved it so much. I cannot convey the feeling of gratitude after visiting the  very same place she did.






 I had mentioned doing some reading about the covered bridges of Vermont so Dottie set out to show me one. I was in awe of this beautiful bridge! I learned that the purpose of building covered bridges was that a covered bridge protected the trusses so that the bridge would last about three times as long as a bridge that was not covered. I stood in the middle of the road to get some pictures, and I admit that I was a little sad when we drove away.
We continued our trek up to Newfane where we visited Mom's favorite store. I wish I could have afforded a quilt in that store, but the least expensive one was $750! We had so much fun browsing and picking up a few little things. Once again I found myself snapping picture after picture, desperate to capture this special time with Aunt Dottie. I simply cannot convey how wonderful she is. I wish I lived closer to her so that I could see her all the time.


Because of the weather, we kept driving and ended up in Historic Deerfield. OH. MY. GOODNESS! I could not believe those old buildings were still standing! I regret not buying the book that told of the French and the Indians that invaded the town and took so many prisoners.. I hope I can find something online because now that I've been there, I would really love to read all about it.


We decided to have lunch at the Yankee Candle Flagship Store which was nearby. I was amazed at how big the place was! There was no shortage of splendor and lunch was amazing! Everything from the ambiance, the company and the food was perfect. I am so fortunate to be here, spending time with Mom and Dottie. It is so much more than locations and shopping. I have heard their stories and learned so much about Dottie. I adore her!


 As we drove, I would listen to Dottie tell us about the history of specific houses we would pass and I am in awe of the detail she remembers. She has a wonderful way of talking with her hands, just like Grandma used to, and today she said, "Oh, yes!" exactly the way Grandma would... I teared up because it was like Grandma was right there with us.  Don't get me wrong, I love Dottie for who she is.. but being Cherie's sister is a big part of who she is and I found myself imagining Grandma there with us on the trip. How will I be able to leave her the day after tomorrow? I'm already grieving over the hole it will leave in my heart. She is part of me and I wish I could have her nearby always.

Mom and Dottie, thank you for the gift this trip has been. I will cherish it all my life.

2 comments:

  1. <3 You make me want fruit and cheese! haha. I'm glad you're having an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to find you some fruit and cheese, because it is nom!

    ReplyDelete

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.