Friday, October 29, 2010

Reflection



Ahh to be home again! We had a very long day at Logan International airport, just trying to get home. Wild weather throughout the south and mid-west caused hundreds of flight delays and even cancellations. I am used to spending endless hours stuck in airports, but I know that was a difficult day for Mom.  We were at the airport from sun up to sun down!

When we finally did land in SLC, I was greeted by the love of my life and I instantly felt protected and safe. Oh how I missed him! He hugged me so tightly on the curb of the drop off zone and I didn't even mind that his Delta jacket was covered in drywall dust. I was THAT happy to see him! My hubby told me that missing me was "painful" to him, and to his credit, he has been extremely affectionate and attentive since my return. I could get used to this! We talked about how we enjoyed our trips but how we don't feel 100% like ourselves when we are apart. There were so many discoveries we each wanted to share with one another but couldn't. And don't even get me started on the long nights without having his warmth next to me. He is my comfort, my support and my love. I am so happy to be back where I belong. 

Hubby saved our aching backs by hoisting the uber heavy, souvenir-laden suitcases into the Durango and we were headed home! We chatted all the way about our adventures in New England and his adventures in California. It still cracks me up that we were on opposite sides of the country. It was a great experience, but I never want to be that far away from him again!

We drove Mom home and got her things into the house. After saying a quick hello to Missy (my favorite sis) and Dad, we were headed toward our own tribe at last. I walked in the door and was instantly greeted by comfortable familiarity. Madi was working on her Sterling Scholar application, Linzie came bounding up the stairs with sleepy eyes and a huge welcoming smile, Emily drifted down the stairs looking beautiful with her hair wrapped up in a towel turban, and before long even Carley and Abby were pulled from their toasty beds to say hello. I felt bad because it was past 11:30PM on a school night, but I selfishly lapped up the hugs, kisses and "Welcome Home, Mom" greetings that were lavished upon me. My tribe... my heart.  My sweet girls and my loving husband will always be my touchstones. A house is just a structure but my family is my home.

Because of my recent visit to Louisa May Alcott's house in Massachusetts, I have had some fun conversations with my family about Little Women. I have said for years that my girls are my Little Women. I feel so lucky that I get to be part of this great group of girls! Each of my girls possess traits of the Little Women characters. Madi is like Jo, Linz is like Meg and Beth, Emily is like Jo and Amy, Carley is like Amy and Meg, and Abby is somewhere between Jo and Beth - Louisa May Alcott would have had a great time inventing a character like my Abby! My girls are constantly making me laugh, teaching me about life and love, and making me think. I always felt that it quit being about me when I had my children.. I thought it would be all about them for as long as they were mine to love... but now I see that there's a subtle lesson flowing through them, to me.. the gift of learning all those things make life polished.  My girls have taught me patience and understanding, how to let go of the petty things that hold people back, they have shown me the difference between wants vs. needs, and above all else, they have taught me that love only grows when you give it away freely.  I would give anything for my girls!

My trip to New England was Ahhh-mazing! I felt so connected to the history and my ancestry there that it was almost like being home. Almost. I think if I could take my darling hubby and my sweet girls with me then I could easily live in New England forever. Aunt Dottie is also a big reason I wish I lived in Massachusetts. She is so full of love and life that just being around her is uplifting. I love her laugh and her genuine spirit. I never did get to play Scrabble with her, but I could have listened to her stories forever and never grow tired of hearing her memories. She taught me so much about life in general...when I grow up, I want to be just like her!

 I'd love nothing more than to daydream about my New England adventures, but I'm back in the real world and there's a grindstone here with my name on it.  However, come 4PM I will be racing back to the family that I adore.. I'm sure I haven't given them enough hugs and kisses yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.