Saturday, November 27, 2010

I Am Thankful For My Family

A typical Thanksgiving celebration means waking up on Thursday to make bread, stuffing, turkey, veggies and other assorted goodies while the girls happily watch Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

This was not a typical year for us.

Thursday morning meant waking up after a long night of Bill tossing and turning, desperately trying to find a comfortable sleeping position while I did my best to carefully arrange his pillows and get his medication every four hours. Needless to say, neither of us got much sleep.

Mom and I had both told Bill to stay home if he wasn't feeling up to it, but he wouldn't hear of such a thing! He was suffering cabin fever and was looking forward to Mom's Thanksgiving Dinner more than anything. So while the girls primped and dressed up, I was working hard to get my sweetheart ready for the much anticipated afternoon festivities.

As we were leaving for Mom's house, I noticed the girls all looked super cute! Anyone who knows me will understand that I simply had to stop at the park to take their pictures in the winter landscape. Everything was perfect! The snow was sparkling under the afternoon sun, the chill in the air gave them all rosy cheeks and noses.. it was bliss! That is... until Ashley ripped her pants! If I've learned anything, it is that something will always go wrong in our tribe. No worries! I sent five girls ahead in Madi's van while Bill, Ashley and I dashed home to get Ashley some jeans without the extra ventilation in the butt. ;)






(In one of these pictures Ashley is a bit embarrassed because her jeans split down the butt when she tried to sit down! Good thing she is such a good sport because we love to tease her.)

Mom's house was warm and cozy as always and she had worked so hard to prepare a wonderful dinner for dozens of people. Words can never express how thankful we are for her generosity and for the way she loves all of us so much.  Thanks, Mom!

We would have loved to stay longer, but Bill had been without medication for too long, so we headed home with full tummies and happy hearts. In spite of it being a different kind of celebration, we enjoyed being together as a family as much as we ever have.  

We are truly blessed!

2 comments:

  1. You are definitely blessed. It looks like you have a wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I do have a wonderful family.. they are all my best friends. :)

    ReplyDelete

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.