Sunday, January 16, 2011

"Newlyweds become oldyweds, and oldyweds are the reasons that families work."

I held Hubby's hand as we walked across the movie theater parking lot... echoes of distant memories were all around me. He recounted how he first saw me walking through that parking lot, and even described what I was wearing that day. I was going to a movie by myself all those years ago because my little girls were spending the weekend with their dad and I had no other friends that lived nearby. It was a heartbreaking and confusing time for me; the end of a marriage is never easy. I didn't know then that the smiling stranger waving to me in the parking lot would be the best thing that ever happened to me (other than my sweet girls) and that my future with him would be so full of love and laughter. Ten years ago I met my best friend in a parking lot and Friday night we  had a fun date to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary by going back to where it all began.  Oh how I love this man!

Eight years ago I married my best friend.  In my twenties, I would have thought that eight years was a lifetime! Not so! My sweet hubby and I are just now getting past all of those relationship blips that so many people (including us) stumble on and then wind up with a spectacular face plant!It's all about learning to navigate the little things so we can enjoy the big picture.  His little quirks, my weepy moments, handing out the compliments and dishing out the love for reassurance.  Huge nuclear fights and quiet stewing for days...it's all part of the learning process. (Although I'd much rather skip the fighting and stewing altogether!) I try to explain to my girls that it's not about the fight, it's about the process of negotiating each others' feelings and learning to do it better next time. 

I've been thinking about marriage quite a bit this week. There have been behind the scenes conversations about what a marriage is and why it's ok for Hubby and I to yell at each other for two solid hours and then simply be done with it so we can cuddle on the couch. I've heard it said that in a marriage there are a million reasons to fall out of love, but the marriage itself will hold you together long enough to fall in love again with the same person.  I couldn't have said it better myself!

Marriage is so much more than filing joint taxes and having someone to kiss on New Year's Eve. My Hubby is my best friend, my snuggle bug, my confidante, and my partner in crime. When I'm having a particularly tough night refereeing the girls, I know I can email or text Hubby at work to get some sympathy and promises of extra hugs when he gets home.  Don't tell the kids, but we tag team this parenting gig. If I'm having a bad day, Hubby takes over and vice-versa.  Girls beware if both parents are having an off day at the same time! 

I've said it a million times before, but it has to be said again- I am so grateful for this wonderful man in my life who willingly took on a single mom and her five little girlies. I don't think there are many men on the planet who would volunteer for this life, let alone rock it the way my Hubby does!  Our marriage has not been perfect,  but we learn from our mistakes and we are proud of the family we have nurtured and the bonds we strengthen together.

Baby, thank you for being my best friend and greatest ally. I love our travel adventures, camping trips with the girlies, family movie nights, finding great war stories to share (BOB), and playing footsie with you on the couch or when you're sleeping. I admire your fearlessness, your enthusiasm for life and your awe-mazing work ethic!  Thank you for helping me be a better person, for being the Dad the girls need in their lives, and for your never-ending goofiness that keeps us all in fits of giggles!  You are my favorite, you are my everything. I love you to the end of time and back again!

Muah!

Happy eighth anniversary, Sweetheart!  
How about another 50 at least?

1 comment:

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.