Monday, March 28, 2011

Anatomy Of A Spring Storm

Spring weather in Utah makes my Hubby crazy... that is not an understatement. He gets so excited for the warmth that even one day of it is enough to convince him that winter is over and done with... and then it snows the next day.  I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that he pouts like a toddler when his sunshine is taken away. I am the opposite because I happen to think that Spring storms are awesome! There is no telling what you will get from one day to the next, or even one minute to the next, and at times the ferocity is nothing short of spectacular!

We have a saying around here.. "If you don't like the Spring weather in Utah, wait 10 minutes!" Today was the ultimate example of that very saying and this photo evidence will prove it.  These pictures were all taken today, from 9am-1pm.  Amazing!

Taken from my bedroom window with my camera phone.

This first picture shows the black, wicked storm approaching from the North. There was ominous thunder and lightening heralding something ferocious about to descend upon us.

 I raced downstairs to grab my camera so I could document the exciting weather! Look at the wall of the storm over our neighbor's house! The clouds were moving south very quickly!
These are our pine trees in the backyard. It's important that I show you this photo because you will see this view several times throughout this pictorial. Each picture is vastly different! This one was taken as the black storm was still swirling over us.

Can you see the Robin in this tree? Do you think he was thinking, "Oh Crap!"
I kept calling for Bill to come outside and watch the storm unfold, but he was playing on the Xbox and couldn't hear me with his gamer headphones on. He missed the best parts of the storm!
In the back yard, the clouds were screaming southward. The front yard was completely opposite. Here the black clouds are dipping low and racing to the north! That means the storm was swirling directly over us. How cool is that!

It was right about then that it started to hail. I didn't get a good hail picture though so you'll just have to trust me on this. It hailed! After 5 minutes of cold rocks falling from the sky, the clouds took pity on us and released their fluffiest of white stuff.  The snow flakes were huge and beautiful!




 Hubby and I had some errands to run (to get ready for our Spring camping trip) so I took a few pictures as I was driving.. (don't tell the cops!)


As I reached the crest of this hill I could see that the storm was movin' on out.
By the time we returned home, snow had already melted from the back yard. 
I told you there would be more pictures of this tree.. .and we're not done yet! The sun was working hard to break through the storm clouds.  Queue "Here Comes The Sun" can you hear it?


As I snapped a few pictures of the budding trees and the asparagus peeking out of the soil, the sun continued its journey out of the clouds.... and suddenly there it was!



And remember the pine tree that I told you to keep your eye on?  Well here it is again. This picture was taken at 1pm.. what a wonderful, beautiful and amazing Spring storm we had today!

Today we experienced thunder, lightening, wind, rain, hail, snow, and finally... bright blue sky!  Welcome to Spring in Utah.. you never know what you're going to get. 

PS: Two hours later and it's snowing again.  Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.