Saturday, March 19, 2011

Thinking Out Loud

This morning the girls got up bright and early and left the house for a day with their dad, who is visiting from Oregon. They only get to see him once a year so a Saturday morning in a quiet, mostly empty house is very rare around here.  I could easily spend the day missing them like crazy and constantly wondering what they're up to, but I chose to spend a little time on me today- which is pretty unusual.

After gently talking Hubby into making a delicious breakfast, I settled in with a Netflix movie that I reserved a while ago.  A Saturday morning with no kids AND a movie? Bigfoot sightings are more common than this occurrence! I told myself that the girls are having a great time visiting with their dad and his family so that I could concentrate on the breakfast and movie. I gave myself permission to enjoy the quiet.. and I did enjoy it!

I try to watch the movies nominated for Academy Awards prior to the actual awards, but let's face it.. it is not possible to see them all. After watching the awards given to The Kids Are All Right, I knew it was one that I had to see and my friend, Netflix, delivered it to my mailbox just the other day so the timing was perfect.  Instead of popcorn, I had Hubby's perfect huevos rancheros and my cozy jammies. It was pure indulgence and I was ready to go!

I have to say that I really liked the performances and the message that I got from watching this movie. Unfortunately, it isn't one that I can watch with my girls or even recommend to my friends and family because there were too many scenes that were so graphic that I was blushing even though I was the only one in the room! (Okay, Hubby was in the room but he was otherwise occupied at the computer so he doesn't really count as someone else in the room.. yanno?)

After watching the movie, I find myself thinking about life and how most of us are always searching for something more. "The Kids Are All Right"  seemed to say -Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it and only then will you realize that you had what you really needed all along.

Yeah. I get it. In fact, I should have that framed somewhere in my house.

Life is hard, relationships are harder still. I tell my kids every day that kindness matters.. that's an easy one. Maybe I should start telling them that relationships matter and kindness is required. Don't throw away what you have spent your whole life nurturing just because you wonder about how your life could be.... If you're not careful, you'll end up with nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.