Friday, April 15, 2011

Moab- Day 5 The Trip Home

On our last day in Moab, I woke up all snoogly in our tent and wished it didn't have to come to an end. We had such a great time on our desert getaway and it felt like there was still so much more to do and see! There had been some chilly winds and a light sprinkling of rain during the night, but the morning was bright and beautiful and it was time to get rolling.  We had a lot of work to do!

We decided to warm up some fajita leftovers for breakfast, which was different but it meant less work for me feeding our group. After breakfast, I talked Hubby into going for one last ride. Just the two of us. Hubby asked me to head to the end of Fins N Things so I could take his picture coming down the intimidating rock face. He knew I wouldn't actually ride the trail with him (and in fact he had told me that he would never even consider taking his kids on that trail!) so we temporarily parted ways and I went to wait for him at the end of the trail.  It was really fun watching the morning Jeep groups come down that rock! I could never strap little ones into car seats and hope that everything would be hunky dory on those rock trails.. (I am chicken to the core!) they are either brave or crazy.. maybe a little of both! I waited maybe 10 minutes before I heard the distinctive sound of Hubby's four-wheeler - and I held my breath as he inched Rosie down the steep rock. Whew! Safe at last!


I had wanted to check out the other end of that trail because it looked a little easier to me. We headed there next and it might have been a little easier than the part Hubby had just ridden, but it was still challenging to me! It wasn't long before we came to a very steep, very rough part of the trail and Hubs waved for me to hold back. No worries! I had NO intention of following him up a death cliff! Right about then my four-wheeler must have decided to save me from the embarrassment of showing my inner chicken because my fuel light came on. Oh darn! Not enough fuel to continue... must head back to camp. Saved!! Back at camp I tried to act nonchalant as Hubby asked me if I wanted him to fill the tanks and head back out. I told him I was fine either way.. but secretly I knew there was no way I could tackle that advanced trail! Sandy trails with fun "whoop-dees" and high berms are my favorite kind of trails.. definitely not jagged rocks that threaten broken bones and death at every turn! But I know when to say no on a trail so Hubby refueled the four-wheelers and we headed back out.  After hesitating at the entrance (which was really the exit) of the trail I had expressed interest in, Hubby turned and asked me if I would take his picture going up Baby Lion's Back instead.  Uh.. yeah! Absolutely! He didn't have to twist my arm one bit so we headed in a new direction where we got some great action shots of Hubby going up a crazy hill and then he took me around the backside to show me what he had come down. It was insane! I am so glad he managed that stunt safely!
By then there was no escaping it. We had to head back to camp to get everything packed up for the trip home. Imagine my surprise when we got there and discovered the girls' tent was completely stowed! They had emptied it, swept it and then packed it away! Have I mentioned how awesome they are? They even went into our tent and folded all of our blankets neatly. Wow! Just. Wow!  We sprang into action to get the remaining camp chores taken care of, which included packing both of our vehicles and the trailer while Mom and Dad were also packing up their tent trailer. It was a huge job but we have an excellent team and everyone worked hard to help get it done.







 We stopped on Main Street on our way out of town to do some last minute shopping. I had to make sure that everyone had something fun to remember the trip. The girls bought shirts, jewelry and a few of these cute VooDoo dolls that Mom and the girls had discovered the day before. Mom gave Hubby one that is a "Love Chef" and she gave me the "See All" which promised to help me see through all lies, deceptions and secrets. Haha! How perfect is that with a house full of teenagers? Just kidding! My girls would never lie to me...  right?  RIGHT?

One last stop at the infamous McDonalds for shakes and we were on our way! We left Moab in sunny, warm weather after having a wonderful family vacation. We were sad to be leaving it behind, but already the girls were placing dibs on who got the shower first when we got home! Just the thought of hot water sluicing through our hair was beyond heavenly! Mom had just heard from Missy, back home, that we were headed into some nasty weather. Hubby led our caravan as we turned toward the black clouds to the North... toward home.



 The snow started about two and a half hours away from home and it got worse with every mile. By the time we hit Salt Lake City, visibility was two car lengths in front of us and the snow was unbelievable! We didn't know it then, but that particular storm had plans to stick around for three days! It was a miserable drive home because of the weather, but Emily, Madi and Abby were riding in the Jeep with me and we sang at the top of our lungs anyway.  I love turning up the tunes and singing with my girlies!



 I was on the phone with Mom as we reached our freeway exit. They still had a few miles to go, but we reassured each other that we would be back in touch very soon. I was missing them already. I am so grateful that they were able to come with us on our Moab adventure!  I regret not getting Mom and Dad on the 'wheelers for a ride though... huge regret! I would have loved to post those pictures here. I guess we will just have to go again next year!

Our trailer was snow-packed and everything on it was soaking wet! It would take the better part of a week to get it under control again. (In fact, we still haven't finished washing sleeping bags and we got home one week ago) The showers were super hot and we all loved feeling so clean after our camping adventure. We all cleaned up and spent some time hanging out at home the night we returned; happy to be home, but a little sad that our trip was over and our Ashley had to fly back to Atlanta the very next morning. Sad.

I love the adventures our family has enjoyed over the years! The memories we make together are priceless to me and I hope that there are many more adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.