Saturday, September 12, 2009

Chocolate Covered Tomatoes?

I've been avoiding this place for a few weeks.. but I think it is time to take a deep breath and take a small step forward. There's still a giant emptiness that we work around, and I still cry every day, but there are other normal things happening in our lives as well and I don't want those moments to slip away.

Fall is a fun time around our house. It is the time for harvest, canning tomatoes, and enjoying the cool air that brings with it nature's most stunning colors. If we took a poll, I think that most of us would agree that fall is the best season of them all. But we don't ask Bill, because we know that he hates autumn, saying it means that his favorite season has come to and end, and the bright fall colors just mean that the leaves will soon be dead.. and don't even get me started on what a baby he is when it comes to the cold! But we love him anyway. :)

Labor day weekend I headed out to our local farm to pick some tomatoes. As usual,we planted our own garden, but something went seriously awry and we didn't get the yield that we had hoped for. After hours of picking, we felt we had enough to keep me busy for the weekend and then some. It was so satisfying to see all of those tomatoes!



In addition to canning tomatoes, Labor Day weekend was filled with fudge orders. The girls and I create gourmet fudge recipes and the demand for our unique, homemade fudge is growing all the time. In fact, the girls often dream of opening a candy shop one day. It is a cute dream, but I wonder which one of them will want to volunteer to do those dishes every day? Even though we have more than 20 unique and amazing fudge flavors, the runaway favorite seems to be the banana cream pie. As long as the demand for it continues, we will keep filling orders and creating new flavors!


Our evenings are filled with homework, dishes, laundry... the typical household activities. But it still shocks me that my "babies" are in Junior High. The homework assignments get tougher and I grin as I hear my little ones learning the basics of Spanish. It is a quiet routine that I am happy to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.