Wednesday, February 16, 2011

It's A Big Day!

**Update-  They did not advance past regionals, but that's okay. I am so proud of them for all of their hard work and the guts it took to put themselves through this grueling process!

My oldest girls, my very first babies, are preparing for a very big interview just 90 minutes from now. Each of them won their category last fall in the Sterling Scholar competition at their High School and today is the regional interviews.

When you come from a family of modest means, scholarship money is a very big deal.


Carley won the Visual Arts category and will be presenting her art portfolio. She is required to carry everything by herself, which includes many large art pieces, and the winds are howling today! My adorable girl just confessed to me that she is more worried about her skirt flying up than anything else.  She makes me laugh!

I forced her to be cheesy for this picture.. but seriously, how adorable is her smile!
Madi won the English category and will be presenting her newspaper articles, essays and other writings. Her portfolio isn't nearly as cumbersome as Carley's so I have asked her to be the one to deal with the car keys once they arrive. 

We have been practicing interview questions and reassuring both of them that no matter what happens we are SO VERY PROUD of their many accomplishments! More money for their college education would be a blessing, but the greatest rewards on this journey are the lessons that they have learned about hard work and seeing things through to the end.      (now go kick some serious butt at your interviews!)

Their pictures were in the local paper yesterday for being Sterling Scholars. You can find that article HERE.

You can see their cute pictures by opening the links to the left of the article. Or by downloading the links below. There are a lot of kids competing against them and I'm sure the competition is tight... Good luck girls!!
2011 Sterling Scholars: Trade and Technical Education, Visual Arts nominees
2011 Sterling Scholars: English, Computer Science nominees

No comments:

Post a Comment

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.