Thursday, April 21, 2011

Visions Of Peeps Danced Through Their Heads

I had some errands to run yesterday and because it was Carley's early-out day at school, she went with me. One of the things I needed to do was pick up some Easter treats for my girlies to put in a basket for them this Sunday. It's probably awful that I was doing this right in front of Carley, but she insists she didn't mind. (She is eighteen, after all)

As I walked through the sweets-infested aisles, I would find things I thought the girls might like and I carefully counted out the right number of items and put them in my shopping cart. Money is tight right now and Carley was very conscious of the price of things.. (one of the reasons I probably shouldn't have been doing that shopping with her) she kept telling me that Easter treats were not necessary because they were all old enough to do without those childhood things and I kept reassuring her that it was okay.

I actually didn't spend that much money when it was all said and done, but I could see that my girl was worried about the expense so I offered her my very best explanation for why I do these things and it went something like this:

When my girls were little and would have bad dreams, they would come  crawl into bed with me so I could snuggle their sleepy heads for the rest of the night. Linzie was particularly prone to bad dreams and sleepwalking so she ended up in my bed the most often. One day, not too many years ago, I realized that the night snuggles just stopped all at once and no one had warned me that I would miss comforting my sleepy girls when that happened. I was so used to little girls crawling in bed with us at night that I didn't stop to think about them growing up and handling nightmares on their own, leaving me unaware of any bad dreams disturbing their sleep at all. What would I have done if I had known that I was sharing my pillow with a sleeping little one for the last time? My point is that I didn't know that part of my little girls' childhood had ended and I didn't stop to think about it until years later.. and then I missed it.

I don't want the wonder of Easter baskets to vaporize the same way the night-time snuggles did, without anyone noticing at all, and so I cheerfully buy chocolate bunnies, marshmallow chicks, and other assorted sugary treats for my "grown up" girls to enjoy on Easter Sunday. We will color eggs while singing along with our iPod music and there will be plenty of pictures to share! And I will be happy for at least one more year of childhood traditions with my precious girls. 

Then:
Little Madi and Little Carley showing off their Easter eggs


 Now:
We don't mess around! Egg coloring is SERIOUS business!

  
 
Last night we were watching television and a commercial came on for a new product.. "Crayola Bubbles" <-click to see the commercial  I was amazed! I told the girls that I totally would have bought that for them on Easter when they were little. Linzie's response?  "When we were LITTLE? What? Are we NOT bubble worthy?" Oh. My. Goodness! I laughed so hard over her comment that I decided right then and there that I would do my best to try and track down the colored bubbles for my girls' Easter basket this year! It seems they aren't quite ready to grow up either and I am grateful for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.