Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year! Our Year In Review

~ Memory is not so brilliant as hope, but it is more beautiful,
and a thousand times more true. ~ 
I was not sad to bid farewell to 2009- it had been a terrible time for my family; a time of loss, unimaginable pain and seemingly endless sorrow. One year ago, we stood on the threshold of 2010 and welcomed it with open arms and I am happy to say that we were not disappointed, in spite of the gut-wrenching loss that we faced right out of the gate.

In January, my sweet Emily turned 16, Hubby and I celebrated 7 years of being married as best friends, and I was heading into my third month of working for OHSU. But the biggest impact was saying our final goodbye to Grandpa Robinson. (I'm crying at the computer just thinking about it.) Although we knew we have two of the best Guardian Angels there ever were, we selfishly wished for more time with our dear grandparents.

February went a little easier on us with the only major event being TWO teenage daughters attending the Sweetheart's Dance There were dresses to buy and plans to make. We brandished curling irons and hairspray with determination as we helped the girls primp for their big night. I remember falling into the couch in a tired sort of shock once they were gone... wondering if that really just happened. I still feel bad that I called Emily's date by Madi's date's name.  Oops! It would have been the perfect time to grab a movie and veg for a few hours, except that was also the month that Hollywood Video ditched us and believe me when I say that I still long for the days when we could go browse for videos or games on Saturday afternoons.  Netflix just isn't the same. 

Our spring fever ramped up in March and April until we nearly couldn't stand it anymore. We fenced in our garden and took the girls on a chilly camping trip to Moab. Grilling, camping and gardening are some of our all time favorite activities and last spring we were happy to be out in the sunshine! I'm already looking forward to spring, 2011!

When May arrived, so did the truck packed with brightly colored flowers for the sitting garden. My sweet family prepped and planted the sitting garden with me for Mother's Day. Working outside with my family and grilling afterward is my idea of Heaven. Bring it on! 

In June Bill turned 40, we grilled a LOT, and we took the girls to The Big Island with great hopes for a wonderful vacation. We did have fun there, but we also had tremendously bad luck. Six of us got food poisoning, Bill was transported to the hospital via ambulance when he dove into the shallow end of a pool, and I lost my memory card with ALL of my pictures on it.  SUPER SAD FACE! If you ever go to Hawaii, do yourself a ginormous favor and do not put a lava rock pebble in your pocket. We are so superstitious now when it comes to the Volcano gods. (We put the rocks back before we left.)

July brought a chilly camping trip to Bear Lake  with Tyler's family along for the fun (Have I mentioned how much we love the outdoors?), Mom and Dad's birthdays and more grilling of course! We also managed to help a stranger in need at the parking lot of the grocery store on a particularly hot afternoon. Our summer was in full swing and we were lovin' it! 

Every summer has to come to an end, and August is a tough one for us because it means that Ashley goes back to Georgia and school will soon start up again. Last August was particularly difficult because it marked one year without Grandma. Ouch.  I needed something uplifting to hold onto, so I decided to throw a back to school party for all the special little ones in my life who were preparing for another school year. We had a blast and as a side note, I highly recommend bubbles for any occasion!  

September closed the book on parenting little girls because Abby and Linzie were officially teenagers. I love being Mom to this tribe of girls! Every day they teach me something new and I am rarely disappointed in any of them. No longer children, they are inching toward adulthood and my life is constantly changing! 

One of the highlights of my year... and possibly my life... was the trip I took with Mom to Massachusetts in October. I loved spending time with my beautiful Great Aunt Dottie and soaking up the atmosphere back there. I truly felt like I was home! If I could pack up my family and move there then I would in a heartbeat! Now there isn't a day that goes by without thoughts of Dottie and Massachusetts. I am so thankful that Mom included me on her trip and I sincerely hope I can go back there soon. 

November and December brought shoulder surgery for Hubby and unexpected financial hardship to my family, but we're a strong family and it will take more than than one evil woman to bring us down. We banded together as usual and dished out extra kindness at every opportunity.  Have I told you how amazing my family is?  My girls know the true value of life and the financial burdens did not dampen their spirits in any way.  Each time I found myself struggling with feelings of guilt over the finances, my girls would put their arms around me and lovingly reassure me that everything was going to be fine. I am so blessed.  There was no shortage of love, laughter, playful banter and Christmas projects around our home this year and my girls never failed to spread their happiness and pure joy.  How awesome is that!  Carley and Madi also turned eighteen on the 18th.  Sweet!  I adore these girls with all my heart! 

This New Year's Eve we had a lovely dinner at Mom and Dad's and managed to snag two extra girlies to bring home with us. We danced and sang all the way home with Ella and Brecklyn squeezed in among our five  and the laughter was so pure and wonderful! (Madi was at work and we missed her terribly!) Later, we laughed ourselves sick over a fun game of Pictionary Man. Our cheeks and sides hurt from laughing so hard over the images drawn and the outrageous guesses that were blurted out. Man oh man was it fun!   But the best part... the happiest magical moment... was when all those little girlies went out on the front porch, at the stroke of midnight, and shouted "Happy Birthday Brecklyn!" as the rest of the street shouted "Happy New Year!"  Did I mention how awesome these kids are?  ;) 

2010, I am thankful for the tears which opened our hearts and our minds... even through insurmountable sorrow, because through our pain we are reminded that life is wondrous and beautifully fragile. I am grateful for the trials which make us stronger and help us to appreciate all of the blessings in our lives. As we say goodbye to another year, I promise to remember the lessons learned, the lives lived and lost, and respect the promise of each new day.   Happy New Year!


‎"Perhaps strength doesn't reside in having never been broken, but in the courage required to grow strong in the broken places." 

2 comments:

Babehs "My daughters are so many things- Tiny discoverers of butterfly wings, huggers of teddies, sweet sleepyheads, little ones to dream for in bright years ahead... All Special people who right from the start had a place in our family and of course in my heart. And just when I think that I've learned all the things that my dear daughters are and the joy each one brings, a hug or a grin comes with such sweet surprise that love finds me smiling with tears in my eyes!"

.